I don’t know where you live, but here in Kentucky there was a delightful chill in the air today. I noticed a pile of leaves in front of my neighbor’s lawn, and how much earlier it’s starting to get darker. By the time this article gets posted, it will be the first of October, and so begins my favorite three months of the year!
One of the things I like to do around this time of year is find the time for some scary movies. I’ve loved horror films since I was a kid, even if things like Return of the Living Dead, Creepshow, Jaws, and Alien left a little residual psychic scarring.
Just as it should be!
Now, my wife hates horror films. She very reluctantly agreed with me to go see Paranormal Activity a number of years ago, sat in petrified silence, and informed me on the ride home that she hoped I had a good time, because she would not be repeating the experience in this life or the next. So I’ve been anxiously awaiting my children coming of age so I can find at least one of them to share the experiences with.
A few nights ago, I decided to take a chance with my oldest son, Liam. I had “the talk” with him… no, not that one, we’re a few years off yet… the one that goes, “monsters aren’t real.” We sat down, grabbed a blanket, and watched his first-ever scary movie, The Babadook together.
I paid close attention when I told him after the film that it was time to go upstairs to bed. Would he hesitate? Ask to sleep in our bed tonight? Maybe even…cry?
“Goodnight Dad, love you,” he said, as he headed on up to the waiting darkness without batting an eye. That’s my boy!
I’m sure many of you have fond memories of horror films as well. They’re not for everyone, but those that love them often really love them. The best ones poke and prod at the more primal core of our imagination, causing the pulse to quicken and a sense of dread to settle in like lead in the pit of our stomachs.
In the last week and a half, we’ve had you on a virtual trick-or-treat all around the War Robots community. Tonight, we’ll be having you knock on MECH*SPECTRUM‘s door.
- Send an email to MechSpecGiveaways@gmail.com with the following in the title:
- Your user ID
- Your platform (iOS, Android, Gameroom, or Amazon)
- Only emails with that information in the subject line will be valid!
- In the body of the email, tell us what your favorite horror movie is, or maybe a horror movie you’d recommend that we might not have heard of or seen before. Don’t like horror movies? That’s okay! Just put, “Dredd, I’m with your wife on this one.” 😀
- We’re not grading your entries, folks. Don’t feel like you have to write a genre dissertation to be considered, it’s random chance just as before.
- This giveaway ends tonight at 11PM EST, at which point we’ll draw a winner for a triple-pack of Scourges!
I mean hey, without the crackle of lightning we wouldn’t have had Frankenstein’s monster, right?
Finally, congratulations to yesterday’s winner, Cuong N, who correctly counted the number of dashes Shaolin Rogue triggered in his video- the same number of home runs that earned Roger Maris his infamous asterisk. No asterisk for you, Cuong, you’ll just have to settle for a Haechi! 😀
Best of luck, everyone!